Read the daily quote from Pope Francis

Our Parish History


Our History

Our Lady of Good Counsel celebrated its first Mass on August 12, 1912 with Father Vesta from St. Leo Parish in Tacoma, but it was not until 1918 that a church was built. This new church was located on Washington Street (just north of Carter) and the first Mass celebrated in the new worship space was on December 18, 1918.

From 1918 until 1957, Our Lady of Good Counsel was a mission of St. John of the Woods parish in Midland and only two Masses a month were celebrated. In 1957 we became a mission of Our Lady Queen of Heaven Parish in Spanaway. It was at this time the Mass schedule was changed to every Sunday and the pastor purchased property with hopes of a new Church building sometime in the future. The property, adjacent to the cemetery, was still vacant in 1969 when once again Our Lady of Good Counsel became a mission of St. John of the Woods.

On the last Sunday of November, 1979, after Mass, the members of Our Lady of Good Counsel said goodbye to the old white Church and moved to the new Church. The first Mass in this worship space was on December 2, 1979.

In 1995 Archbishop Murphy announced that Eatonville was to become a mission of a new parish that was yet to be built on the South Hill of Puyallup, Holy Disciples.

An extensive remodel project was undertaken in 2014. The lower level wall was pushed out into the parkinglot to make room for a new office, kitchen and classroom/meeting room as well as new wheelchair acessible restrooms. New restrooms and sacristy were added to the church upstairs and new flooring was installed throughout the building.

When the Abbot at St. Martin's Abbey in Lacey was no longer able to supply a priest for  the 10:30 Mass on Sundays, the Mass time was moved to 4:30 on Saturday afternoon. This change makes it possible for the priest at Holy Disciples to preside at Masses in both parishes and have time after Mass to visit with parishioners during the social gathering after Mass. The Mass schedule at Holy Disciples was also changed at this time.

Due to the restrictions placed on the community because of the COVID Virus, a closed circuit camera and TV were installed in 2020, allowing parishioners in the hall downstairs to participate at the Mass being offered upstairs.